The process of making sauerkraut is really simple. You basically need:
- 2-3 glass jars with lids
- Smaller jars with stones (used as weight)
- Sea salt and water (amount depends on size of the jar and cabbage)
- ½ cabbage (shredded)
This is how to make sauerkraut:
- Place shredded cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle sea salt and let sit for awhile (a few hours).
- Rub the cabbage to draw water out (this liquid is called brine and is used to submerge the cabbage in).
- Put cabbage in the jar with a wooden spoon (No metal utensils) and cover with brine.
- Place smaller jar on top of cabbage in the jar (be sure to cover all cabbage under brine).
- Close lid on jar and wait for 5-10 days.
- When it is ready, remove the weight and put the lid back on.
- Place in fridge (stop the process of fermentation) and enjoy!
Once you are comfortable with making it in this basic way, add more vegetables to create your own version of sauerkraut. You can even add wine or vinegar for more flavor and faster fermentation. Always use your judgement: if it smells or tastes funny, then throw it away.