Making homemade cream cheese is very easy and simple. I incorporated a couple of recipes to find my own way and this is how.
All you need is:
- Organic yogurt (750ml)
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- A strainer (plastic or nylon prefer, Not a metal kind)
- Cheese cloth (or gauze cloth)
- A pitcher (or any glass or plastic container)
- A wooden stick
This is how to make homemade cream cheese:
- Set cheese cloth or gauze cloth on a strainer
- Pour organic yogurt into it and let liquid seep out (keep the liquid called “whey” for another fermentation)
- Leave it in room temperature for a few hours to let most of the liquid seep out
- Gather the cloth up and hang it on a wooden stick, let it sit in the glass pitcher (see the picture)
- Keep it in the fridge for 24 hours
- Open up the cloth and transfer to a bowl
- Add 1 tsp sea salt and mix well
- Cover and keep in the fridge overnight (or wait for two day to age)
- Cream cheese is now thick and ready to be serve
- Enjoy on your bagels, use to make cheese cake, pastry, dip, and more!
Homemade cream cheese is: 1. Easy to make, 2. Low in calories, and 3. Easy to digest (because using already fermented milk). I assure you that once you make it, you don’t want to go back to commercial cream cheese anymore.